Annual Open Exhibitions
Submissions to the RWA 168 Annual Open Exhibition have now closed. Final selection results will be available on Thursday 8 October at 4pm.
If you are having trouble accessing your results, please contact Parker Harris at email@example.com or call 0203 653 0896.
For those artists who have their work selected, delivery dates to the RWA are Wednesday 21 October, 1-4pm, Thursday 22, Friday 23, Saturday 24 and Sunday 25 October, 10am – 4pm.
Important: This year, artists delivering their work MUST book a delivery timeslot for one of the above dates, as our Covid-19 regulations mean that, for everyone’s safety, we need to limit the number of people in the building at a time. Hourly timeslots are available to book on our website here.
Transport from London, Exeter and Penzance is also available to book from here. Transport is priced at £15 per work per journey.
Dates, times and locations:
To the RWA
- Penzance: Thursday 22 October 2020, 9.00 – 10.00am, hand-in work to ArtWorks, Penzance Harbour Car Park, Penzance
- Exeter: Thursday 22 October 2020 12.30 - 1.30pm, hand-in work to ArtWorks at Exeter Motorway Service area, (top of Car Park) Off Junction 30 of M5, Exeter
- London: Thursday 22 October 2020, 12 noon - 4pm, hand-in work to Art Moves of Chelsea, Chelsea Self Storage, Blantyre Street, London, SW10 0EQ.
From the RWA:
- Penzance: Thursday 11 March 2021, 4.00 – 5.00pm, hand-out of work by ArtWorks in Penzance Harbour Car Park, Penzance
- Exeter: Thursday 11 March 2021, 12.00 – 1.00pm, hand-out of work by ArtWorks at Exeter Motorway Service area, (top of Car Park) Off Junction 30 of M5, Exeter
- London: Monday 15 March 2021, 12 noon - 4pm, hand-out works from Art Moves of Chelsea at Chelsea Self Storage, Blantyre Street, London, SW10 0EQ
We would like to say a huge thank you to all who applied to this year's exhibition. Income from submissions is vital to the RWA, an independent charity (1070163). It enables us to maintain our historically significant building, present our ambitious programme of exhibitions and deliver creative opportunities for young people and adults across Bristol. Your support is more important now than ever.
Submissions open: Friday 31 July - Tuesday 22 September
Final Selection results out to artists: Thursday 8 October
Hand in dates for selected works: Wednesday 21, Thursday 22, Friday 23, Saturday 24, Sunday 25 October
Exhibition opens to public: Saturday 21 November 2020 - Sunday 7 March 2021
In light of the recent rise in cases of Covid-19, we have made a slight change to the exhibition dates. Instead of commencing on 14 November, we will now open on the 21 November to allow additional days for the safe delivery and hanging of artworks.
About the RWA Annual Open Exhibition
The south west's original open exhibition will return this year from Saturday 21 November 2020 - Sunday 7 March 2021. Now is your chance to be a part of it!
The RWA's Annual Open Exhibition is now in its 168th year. Anyone can enter their work for this mixed discipline show - previous years have included painting, drawing, printmaking, photography, film, sculpture and illustration, and attracted entries from artists across the UK and beyond.
A selection panel assesses every entry and last year 657 works by 451 artists made it into the final exhibition. All work is for sale, and the exhibition attracts art-lovers and art-buyers from far and wide. Submissions are welcome from unknown, emerging and established artists, including RWA Academicians.
Please note that this year, due to coronavirus restrictions, our selection process will take place entirely online.
Further reading on the RWA blog: Ten Reasons to Take Part in the RWA Annual Open Exhibition
This year's selection panel includes RWA Academicians Fiona Robinson, Ros Ford, Seyed Edalatpour, Andrew Muñoz and Wendy Elia, alongside artist and gallerist Zavier Ellis, art writer and critic Anna McNay and Isabel Seligman, curator at the Bridget Riley Art Foundation.
The Academy Prizes
- 1st Prize £5000
- 2nd Prize £1000 (sponsored by RWA Academicians)
Prize for Artwork by Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic Artists
The Work on Paper Prize, sponsored by Yvonne Crossley RWA (and The Drawing Gallery)
People's Choice Prize
The Painting Prize, sponsored by Derek Balmer PPRWA
- 1st Prize £250
- 2nd Prize £150
Evolver Magazine Prizes
- Winning artist to be featured in article in Evolver Magazine
- Winning artwork to be featured on the cover of Evolver Magazine
The Student Prize, sponsored by The Friends of the RWA
- Winning artist to be featured in an article in The Floating Circle Magazine
The 168 Annual Open Exhibition is sponsored by Smith & Williamson.
Photo credit: Alice Hendy
21 Nov 2020 – 7 Mar 2021
Bristol's Royal Academy presents it's 168th Annual Open Exhibition, showcasing some of the most exciting artists from across the country and beyond
From Free to £7.95