Annual Open Exhibitions callout text for 169 Annual Open Exhibition
The south west's original open exhibition will return this year from Saturday 14 November 2020 - Sunday 7 March 2021. Now is your chance to be a part of it!
The RWA's Annual Open Exhibition is now in its 168th year. Anyone can enter their work for this mixed discipline show - previous years have included painting, drawing, printmaking, photography, film, sculpture and illustration, and attracted entries from artists across the UK and beyond.
A selection panel assesses every entry and last year 657 works by 451 artists made it into the final exhibition. All work is for sale, and the exhibition attracts art-lovers and art-buyers from far and wide. Submissions are welcome from unknown, emerging and established artists, including RWA Academicians.
5 Reasons to Apply to the RWA Annual Open Exhibition
- Amazing prizes are given to winning artists, including generous cash awards. This year's cash prize fund is almost £9000.
- Our Annual Open attracts art buyers from across the UK. All selected artworks have their own page on the RWA online shop where people can browse and buy online.
- We welcome submissions from artists of all ages and backgrounds, both emerging and established.
- All styles and media are welcome - from painting, drawing and printmaking, to photography, film and installation.
- This is an opportunity to exhibit in the UK's only regional Royal Academy alongside prestigious invited artists.
Further reading on the RWA blog: Ten Reasons to Take Part in the RWA Annual Open Exhibition
Submitting your artwork couldn't be easier via our online submission system. Submissions close at 5pm on Tuesday 22 September. Please note that this year, due to coronavirus restrictions, our selection process will take place entirely online.
Our invited artist is RA President Rebecca Salter.
The Academy Prizes
- 1st Prize £5000
- 2nd Prize £1000 (sponsored by RWA Academicians)
Prize for Artwork by Black, Asian and Minority Ethnic Artists
The Work on Paper Prize, sponsored by Yvonne Crossley RWA (and The Drawing Gallery)
People's Choice Prize
The Painting Prize, sponsored by Derek Balmer PPRWA
- 1st Prize £250
- 2nd Prize £150
Evolver Magazine Prizes
- Winning artist to be featured in article in Evolver Magazine
- Winning artwork to be featured on the cover of Evolver Magazine
The Student Prize, sponsored by The Friends of the RWA
- Winning artist to be featured in an article in The Floating Circle Magazine
Submissions open: Friday 31 July - Tuesday 22 September
Final Selection results out to artists: Thursday 8 October
Hand in dates for selected works: Thursday 22, Friday 23, Saturday 24, Sunday 25 October
Exhibition opens to public: Saturday 14 November 2020 - Sunday 7 March 2021
Please see below for full Terms and Conditions.
To remain up to date on artist opportunities at the RWA, please make sure you are subscribed to our mailing list.
The 168 Annual Open Exhibition is sponsored by Smith & Williamson.
Photo credit: Alice Hendy
21 Nov 2020 – 7 Mar 2021
Bristol's Royal Academy presents it's 168th Annual Open Exhibition, showcasing some of the most exciting artists from across the country and beyond
From Free to £7.95