As a Royal Academy of Art, the RWA has professional artists at its heart, with a membership of around 150 Academicians who are elected by their peers. The current President is Fiona Robinson PRWA.
The process of becoming an Academician is by application and selection and is open to all, regardless of where they are based.
Academicians are elected on the basis that they are:
- Practising artists or architects of ability and experience
- Creators of art works judged to be of a consistently high standard
- Willing to undertake the commitments and responsibilities of elected membership of the Academy
Elected members are expected to contribute to the activities of the Academy. This includes exhibiting in the annual Autumn Exhibition and assisting in the work of the Academy with exhibitions, events and educational activities.
Academicians' entitlements include:
- Use of RWA after name
- Free entry to all RWA exhibitions
- Free entry and automatic selection into the Annual Open Exhibition
- Invitations to all RWA Private Views
- A profile on the RWA website
- Invitations to quarterly networking events and talks
- The ability to propose and elect new Academicians, and to elect Council members, President and Vice-President
- A quarterly newsletter
- Discounts to RWA Drawing School courses and in the RWA shop
The next deadline for applications to become an RWA Academician is Wednesday 1 March 2023.
To find out more about Becoming an Academician, or to request an Academician Application Form please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Academician Council is particularly seeking applications from currently under-represented artists, for example those from Black, Asian and UK Minority Ethnicity communities, and those working in digital media, photography and architecture.
Are you an artist looking for opportunities to develop your career? Find out how to join our Artist Network
Important information for artists who have submitted their work to the 168 Annual Open Exhibition