The RWA is one of five Royal Academies of Great Britain and Ireland and has a membership of 150 Academicians elected by their peers.The Academy supports a community of artists at every stage of their careers and has recently re-launched the Artist Network Scheme. View profiles of our existing Academicians and RWA Artist Network - please note that this area of our website is under construction, and not all artist profiles are available to view.
Becoming an Academician
Academicians are artists at the forefront of their profession who have achieved excellence in their field. Membership is by application and selection.
Academicians are elected on the basis that they are:
• Practising artists or architects of ability and experience
• Creators of art works judged to be of a consistently high standard
• Willing to undertake the commitments and responsibilities of elected membership of the Academy
Elected members are expected to contribute to the activities of the Academy. This includes exhibiting in the annual Autumn Exhibition and assisting in the work of the Academy with exhibitions, events and educational activities. Candidates have already been shortlisted for this year, but between November 2014 and 27th February 2015, we will be accepting applications from new candidates looking to become Academicians in 2015.
Becoming a member of the RWA Artist Network
Are you an artist looking for opportunities to develop your career? Would you like to be involved in a thriving arts organisation with opportunities to exhibit, network, socialise and promote yourself? Do you want the opportunity to play a part in shaping the future of Bristol’s first established art gallery?
The RWA's vision is to create a 21st century gallery for all, providing a unique resource within the region. You can now join us in our goal to become the most exciting and inspirational centre for the visual arts by becoming an Artist Member for only £10 a month.
A BIT ABOUT US:
The RWA is one of the six Royal Academies of Great Britain and Ireland. It is an independent arts organisation with a number of membership schemes. The RWA is pleased to be re-launching its Artist Network membership scheme, aimed at practising visual artists wishing to develop their artistic careers.
The RWA exists to advance the arts, culture and heritage, and the education of the public in the fine arts, to uphold standards in contemporary art and to promote the appreciation of and develop talent and excellence in the fine arts.
It does this by presenting a regular and varied programme of exhibitions, by forging education links with schools, universities and art colleges, by maintaining and developing an important collection of works of art and by acting as a major regional venue where the arts may be appreciated and encouraged.
THE ARTIST NETWORK SCHEME
The RWA Artist Network is open to practicing visual artists. It provides an opportunity for artists to engage with the RWA, providing access to a wider peer network and professional advice and support.Your application will be subject to selection based on the quality of the work you present in the application. The Selection Panel is made up of RWA Academicians.
DEADLINE FOR APPLICATIONS: 15th June and 15th December annually
Members are encouraged to support and engage with our exhibitions and learning programme and will benefit from contact with our Academician body, which plays a vital role in the RWA's artistic community.
The scheme is open to:
- Practising visual artists in any discipline
- Those actively pursuing a career as an artist
- Artists willing to contribute to and engage with the RWA's dynamic artistic community
RWA Artist Network entitlements:
- Free entry to all RWA exhibitions
- Invitations to RWA Private Views
- Half-price submission fee on all works submitted to open exhibitions
- A profile on the RWA website providing an opportunity to showcase your work
- Discounted entry to artist professional development seminars at the RWA*.
- Access to advice and mentoring by Academicians
- Opportunities to socialise with other Artist Network members and Academicians at exclusive quarterly events within RWA galleries with private viewing of the current exhibitions
- Invitations to quarterly Academicians’ Studio visits (spaces limited)
- 10% discount with the Bristol Drawing School (part of the RWA)
- 5% Discount in the RWA café
- A monthly e-newsletter providing news, updates and opportunities
- Use of ‘Artist Network Member of the RWA’ on curriculum vitae
* This refers to an option to attend the Tuesday evening Artist Professional Development sessions at a 50% discount (i.e. only £5 per session). Please note, these may not be available all year round.
Members are required to:
- Pay a monthly fee of £10 / or £120 annual membership. This can be paid annually in a one off payment, or by standing order of £10 per month for one year.
- Give a minimum of 5 days of their time per year to help the Academy through advertised volunteering opportunities*
- To act as ambassadors of the Academy, promote it and act in the best interest of the Academy, its staff and its members
- Membership is for 1 year minimum and a maximum of 5, allowing a significant period of time to fully engage with the RWA and make the most of the support available to develop your professional practice.
*This can be used as an opportunity to enhance your practice with opportunities available as part of the learning programme, technical team and professional support.
HOW TO APPLY:
The next application deadline is 15 June 2015. All applications must be sent via email to firstname.lastname@example.org. Your application must contain an artist CV, artist statement (no more than 300 words) and between 5-10 images of your work, labelled with medium, size and date.
Please note, membership of the Artist Network is not automatic. It is subject to selection based on the quality of the artwork submitted and the criteria outlined above. Any application will be viewed by at least three members of our Artist Network Selection Committee, which is made up of seven RWA Academicians with careers in painting, drawing, sculpture and print-making. We will endeavour to ensure that your application is viewed by at least one member of the Selection Committee with whom you share your artistic discipline.
Your CV should include:
- A brief summary of your personal history with details of training, qualifications and career as artist
- History of exhibiting, any prizes or awards received, connections with commercial galleries or other art organisations
- A list of commissions and membership of art institutions and other professional bodies.
- A brief statement outlining possible ways in which you feel you could fulfil the commitment to contribute to RWA activities
We will use the first 5 images supplied and your artist statement for your web profile. This may be amended at a later date.
Please send applications to Sophie Bristol, Relationship and Image Licensing Manager, by email at: email@example.com