162 Annual Open Exhibition 2014
The Royal West of England Academy holds an Annual Open Exhibition now in its 162nd year. As the name suggests anyone can enter their work for this mixed discipline show. A selection panel assesses every entry and last year 560 works by 348 artists made it into the final exhibition. All work is for sale and the exhibition attracts art-lovers and art-buyers from far and wide. The exhibition is open to the public from 12 October – 7 December 2014.
Entry to the 162 Annual Open Exhibition opens on 2 June 2014 and closes on 27 August 2014 at 5pm. Submissions of painting, drawing, printmaking, photography, sculpture, architecture and moving image from unknown, emerging and established artists, including RWA Academicians are invited. Please note that entry fees apply.
Pre-selection takes place online, after which successful artists will need to bring their work to the RWA for final selection in September. Transport will be available from designated venues in London, Birmingham, Exeter and Penzance. For more information you can download our transport information sheet here.
For a list of fees and dates regarding submission, please refer to the Terms & Conditions. You can download a copy of these below, please note there are three versions therefore please ensure that you select the correct option:
- General Public (includes students, RWA Friends and RWA Artist Network)
- Academician Candidate (you have applied to become an Academician in 2014 and have been invited to exhibit at this year’s Annual Open Exhibition).
- Academician (you are an RWA Academician)
How do I enter?
All entries must be made online using our Online Submission System (OSS). You must read the Terms & Conditions before applying. For guidance on how to use OSS please read our OSS User Guide.
How much does it cost to submit work?
Submission fees are charged per item:
- £18 per item for General Public
- £16 per item for Students
- £14 per item for Friends of the RWA
- £9 per item for RWA Artist Network members
Do I have to submit images of my work online?
- Yes. All artists must submit images of their work to be viewed at the online pre-selection stage.
- Your image should be as clear as possible and represent the work you wish to submit. If it is a 2D work we do not need to see the frame in the image, just the work. If the work is 3D you can still only submit one image so you must choose an image which best represents the work.
- Images should be a JPEG file and should not exceed a maximum size of 3MB.
What happens once I have submitted my work?
The closing date for online submission is the 27 August 2014 at 5pm. After this point no changes can be made to your application. Therefore please ensure that you have submitted the correct details, attached an image of your work, and paid for your submission by this date. For full details of the selection process and results dates please refer to the Terms and Conditions available to download above.
How do I book RWA Transport?
- This should be booked online by logging into your account (see OSS User Guide for full instructions).
- RWA transport can only be booked between 5pm on 12 September and 5pm on 19 September 2014. This ensures that bookings are only taken for work which has been pre-selected.
- You can book 1 way transport or return.
- The RWA charges a flat rate of £10 per way per item.
- If you book a return and sell the work we will refund you the money.
- If you book one-way you can change this to a return at a later date.
- Work must be insured by the artist from the point of collection.
When do I have to deliver work?
If you have not booked regional transport you must deliver your work on the following dates:
10am-4pm on the 25 September for Academicians and Academician Candidates and 10am-4pm on the 26 & 27th September for the General Public.
When can I collect unsuccessful work?
If 1 or more of your works has not been selected you can collect them on the following dates:
- 7 and 8 October 2014 between 10am-5pm
- 17 and 18 October 2014 between 10am-5pm
If you have some work selected and some work not selected you can opt to collect all work after the exhibition on the following dates:
- 16 - 20 December 2014 between 10am-5pm
- 9 and 10 January 2015 between 10am-5pm
If you have booked regional transport your work will be returned to the locations listed above.
The RWA has limited storage space therefore we ask that any large / heavy or fragile sculpture that is unsuccessful at the final selection stage is collected by the 1st October 2014.
Who is on the Selection Panel?
This year our panel includes Janette Kerr PRWA, Stephen Jacobson RWA, Lisa Wright RWA, Will Maw RWA and Jason Lane RWA. We will be announcing our special guest selectors shortly. You can download information about our selectors here.
Moving Image works will be selected by Janette Kerr PRWA, Stephen Jacobson RWA, Terry Flaxton RWA and Chris Meigh Andrews.
Who is the Invited Artist?
This year we are honored to have Peter Blake RA CBE as our invited artist. More details to follow.
Are there Prizes?
We are pleased to announce that this year’s prizes include:
The Affordable Art Fair You Choose Award
£800 awarded to the public’s choice – vote for your favourite artwork
UWE The Centre for Moving Image Research and RWA Bursary
£1000 bursary - All moving image submissions to the 162 Annual Open Exhibition will be eligible for this prize. The Bursary will allow the artist to produce a piece /and or series of works that will be shown at the RWA in 2015. The recipient will be asked to produce a detailed project plan including expenditure and a project report upon completion of work. The recipient will be selected by the moving image selection panel (see above).
Evolver Wessex Cover Artist Award
Front cover of Evolver magazine’s Jan-Feb 2015 issue
Evolver Wessex Artist Award
Feature article in Evolver magazine’s Jan-Feb 2015 issue
Consumer Intelligence Watercolour First Prize £250 cash
Consumer Intelligence Watercolour Second Prize £150 cash
Redcliffe Press Photography Award
Selection of six art books published by Sansom & Co / Redcliffe Press from their recent catalogue.
St Cuthberts Mill Work on Paper Award
20 sheets of Saunders Waterford 300gsm worth £75
New Creations Coaching Emerging Artist Award
£240 worth of creative consulting with New Creations Coaching
We would like to take the opportunity to thank all our supporters including our prize givers.
The Derek Balmer PPRWA Painting Prize
£250 cash prize awarded to excellence in painting
For images of last year's exhibition please visit our Flickr site here.